This is a “budgie baby page” — we put one of these together for each round of budgie parakeet chicks so our adopters can ooh and aah over all the cuteness while they wait to bring their feathered friend(s) home. If you’d like to be added to our waiting list for a chick of your own, please read about our specialized breeding program for details!
5/5/12 UPDATE: All 8 babies have gone home with their new families! Summary: This round is a repeat breeding — the first round of babies from these two pairs have awesome personalities, just like the parents! These 8 babies will be weaned and ready for new homes from mid-late April 2012. All of this round’s babies are English-American crosses and white-based in color: blues, violets, grays; some with yellow faces; some single and double factor dominant pieds. Scroll down to read recorded color and mutation information on each individual chick. If you’ll need a cage and bird supplies, see our bird supply page to see what we offer our adopters!
NEW PHOTOS ADDED 4/18/12 — scroll down to see! Bookmark this page and check back for progress updates and new photos as they grow!
Polly x Freud Clutch
(My Little Ponies name theme)
Breeding Outcome Expectations:
Type: Cross English x American
Colors: blue, violet
Mutations: yellowface, dominant pied, dark factor?
Splits: greywing (100%), possibly recessive pied
Possible: 50% of females cinnamon
Name ideas: Prince Blueblood, Soarin’, Tumbleweed, Bumblesweet, Flitter Flutter, Miss Hackney, Peachy Pie, Razzaroo, Twinkle Twirl, Rainbow Dash, Star Catcher
Outcome: 6 eggs; 6 fertile; 5 hatched; 4 survived. First egg laid 2/12/12; last egg on 12/22/12. First chick hatched 3/1/12; last hatched 3/8/12.
- RESERVED “Tumbleweed”: #. Gender: F. Color: yellowface skyblue pied (clear flights and chest, 2 sky tail under, lightly marked shoulders). Split: greywing, possibly recessive pied. DOB 3/1/12. $95. Cindy Soren… Colorado Springs, CO
- RESERVED “Star Catcher”: #. Gender: F. Color: yellowface violet normal. Split: greywing, possibly recessive pied. DOB 3/2/12. $105. Lisa Mas… Fort Collins, CO
- RESERVED “Bumblesweet”: #. Gender: M. Color: skyblue normal. Split: greywing, possibly recessive pied. DOB #. $85. Lisa Mas… Fort Collins, CO
- RESERVED “Razzaroo”: #. Gender: F. Color: violet and white pied (shoulder markings more on R). Split: greywing, possibly recessive pied. DOB #. (Fostered to Rain). $105. Steven Van Dor… Aurora, CO
Rain x Sigmund Clutch
(Wild Kratts name theme)
Breeding Outcome Expectations:
Type: Cross English x American
Colors: blue, gray
Mutations: yellowface, dominant pied (sf and df), 50% of females opaline
Splits: 50% split greywing, 50% of males split opaline, 50% of females cinnamon
Name Ideas: Martin or Chris Kratt (m), Nubs, Tortuga, Aviva (f), Koki (f), Jimmy Z (m), Zach (m), Zachbots (m), Donita (f), Chef Gourmand (m)
Outcome: 8 eggs; 7 fertile; 6 hatched, 4 survived. First egg laid 2/16; last egg on 3/1/12. First chick hatched 3/7/12; last hatched 3/17/12.
- RESERVED “Kratt”: #. Gender: M. Color: yellowface skyblue pied (almost clear wings and tail, blue spotted chest). Split: possibly greywing. DOB 3/7/12. (Fostered to Polly) $95. Debbie/Debra Eber… Evergreen, CO
- RESERVED “Jimmy Z” #. Gender: M. Color: yellowface gray pied (marked cape and tail, gray chest band). Split: possibly greywing. DOB 3/9. $95. Carolyn Bla… Douglas, Wyoming
- RESERVED “Nubs”: #. Gender: F. Color: white-faced gray. Split: possibly greywing. DOB #. $75. Cindy Soren… Colorado Springs, CO
- RESERVED “Donita”: #. Gender: F. Color: yellowface gray cinnamon-wing double-factor pied. Split: possibly greywing. DOB 3/13. $95. Stephanie Gray… Boulder, CO
- HOME! Star Catcher and Bumblesweet. 9/20/11: 2 Lisa Mas… Fort Collins, CO (M+F, A or X; kit)
- HOME! Jimmy Z. 10/21/11: 1 Carolyn Bla… Douglas, Wyoming (M, cage + food)
- HOME! Kratt. 10/27/11: 1 Debbie/Debra Eber… Evergreen, CO (M, A 0r X, food.)
- HOME! Razzaroo (and RinTinTin). 11/30/11: 1 (+RTT) Steven Van D… Aurora, CO (m+?, X, kit)
- HOME! Donita. 12/26/11: 1 Stephanie Gray… Boulder, CO (has companion)
- HOME! Tumbleweed and Nubs. 2/10/12: 2 Cindy Sore/Wyat… Colorado Springs, CO (hfb, X/any, used cage)
More Budgie Parakeet Pages:
Colorado Hand-fed Budgies and Parakeets!: Our family raises, hand-feeds, trains and adores budgies and parakeets. Learn more about our selective breeding program and view our gorgeous, tame birds.
Inside Our Aviary: See where our birds live — flight enclosures, breeding room, play gyms.
Our Flock of Adult Budgie Parakeets: Take a peek at our gorgeous feathered friends. Lots of photos!
Pictures of Our Hand-fed Babies: Come ooh and aahh over all the cuteness and watch them grow up!
Pre-Adoption Questionnaire: If you are interested in adopting one (or more) of our budgies when they become available, please respond to these questions.
Budgie Baby Waiting List: I know how hard it is to wait when you’re excited but I promise you, the wait is worth it!
FAQ (frequently asked questions): What is a budgie parakeet’s personality like? What are the differences between American parakeets and English budgies? How do you tell a male from a female? Should you keep one, two or more? How long do they live? Where did the species originate?
How To Care For Your Pet Budgie Parakeet: Learn about housing, cages, homemade aviaries, cleaning tips, health, safety, nutrition, exercise, playtime activities, toys, and more.
Bird Nutrition and Food Recommendations: Malnourishment is a leading cause of premature death in pet birds. We provide lists of healthy foods and tell you how to grow your own sprouts.
Training, Talking, Tricks: Entertaining video demonstrations and informative tips.
Colors, Varieties, Mutations, Genetics: Budgie Parakeets come in a rainbow of colors. This page has beautiful photos and variety descriptions.
Bird Playgyms, Stands and Perches for Sale: Learn how to make your own — or order a custom one from us.
Budgie Parakeet Supplies For Sale: Organic food mixes, cages, toys, play gyms, perches, cuttlebones, more! We offer these essential and favorite bird supplies as a courtesy and convenience to our budgie parakeet adopters. Pick up is at our home by appointment only.
Homemade Aviaries and Flight Cages: How to converted used furniture into large flight cages and beautiful indoor aviaries.